Welcome to the Traditional Mixed Martial Arts Dojo website my name is
Michael Fletcher and I am the Sensei of the Traditional Mixed Martial Arts
Dojo. Why the name? We are Traditional and we train in a mix of several
styles. We train in (Kuniba-Ha Shito-Ryu and Kuniba Ryu Goshindo) that
combines Jiu-jitsu, Judo, Aikido and Karate into one complete
. Most of todays MMA gyms you train with one person in jiu-jitsu, another
in kickboxing, another in judo etc. then YOU have to put it all together
knowing when and how. At the Traditional Mixed Martial Arts Dojo, you train
under ONE Sensei to teach you ALL of these styles that was put together
by a True Japanese Sensei. This dojo has been open since April of 1990.
We offer several membership options to meet your training schedule and
budget. Read more about this system on the Style page.
Benefits of Membership
- A system developed by a true Japanese Sensei (he was actually a Soke) comprised of Judo, Jiu-jitsu, Aikido and Karate-jitsu. Shogo Kuniba, Soke, look him up on youtube.com, He is the one that put this system together. It’s a GREAT system. Kuniba-Ha Shito-Ryu and Kuniba Ryu Goshindo are the two styles we train in!
- Unlimited membership – You can train from 11am in the morning until 5:30pm then come back at 7pm and train until 8:30pm Tues – Thursday that’s 3 days a week and Mon 2pm-8:30pm! For a very LOW price!
- Month to Month membership but still with the Unlimited times to come in and train!
- NO ONE else offers the day classes like The Traditional Mixed Martial Arts Dojo!
- You also get private instruction during the day with me. That’s a private lesson Mon - Thurs that doesn’t cost YOU anything extra!
- You learn principles and techniques that come from a SYSTEM that has been PROVEN in the streets time and time again!
- You get a heritage and history of training that consists of great Sensei.
- You will learn techniques from the ground and standing up, you will learn weapons that are practical for today. And learn how to disarm an assailant with a gun or knife.
- What you DON’T get is attitudes or egos; those will get you hurt in a training environment!
- We are NOT the sport; however I have had some students to compete in the Cage Fights that have done very well. I have also had students that competed in the Jiu-jitsu arena that have ALWAYS placed in the top three. That’s training in jiu-jitsu 2 times a week and competing with students that train 6-7 days a week. Just to show you how dominate we are in Jiu-jitsu.
- In the 27 years I have been teaching I have had only ONE injury in the dojo, that is a GREAT record! I don’t believe you should get hurt in the dojo training. You will get bruises and jams, like any sport you play in. But you should never have any kind of other injuries; control is the name of the game. Control YOU and you CONTROL them!
- You will have the opportunity to train with me, Michael Fletcher, Sensei I have been training for over 37 years. I teach ALL the classes and am the only Sensei in the dojo! I am the only civilian certified to teach Law-enforcement in the state of Virginia by the DCJS (Department of Criminal Justice Services).
- My dojo has been in Harrisonburg since 1990.
- The Harrisonburg Dojo was closed Dec 28th 2016
- I will be opening a new Dojo in Penn in 2017